Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Starbucks can't serve a hot drink?

A few months ago, I walked in to a Starbucks Coffee place and was faced with a situation that I was not expecting.

It was a Saturday morning during one of my Access To Power weekends. As I have grown accustomed to do on Saturday and Sunday mornings of these weekends, I drove to the establishment down the street from my facility to order myself a hot grande chai tea latte, no water. This usually occurs around 8:00am, as I meet with my staff at 8:30am to prepare for the day. Sometimes one of the staff picks up my drink for me, but on this morning I decided to take it upon myself to get my own drink.

As I walked in, strolled to the counter and ordered my drink, I was told "We can't serve you that drink, sir." As I was thinking to myself, "Where am I? Am I at Starbucks? Are they out of chai?" The same voice told me that the reason I could not get the drink of my choice was because they did not have any lids due to the delivery truck running late. Since hot drinks had to have lids, they could not sell me my hot drink. As I was weighing my options, several people walked in to the same set of circumstances that I had just walked in to. In a very short period of time, probably about ten or more people came in and left. What I noticed was how every single one of them were leaving expressing some level of upset, frustration, and anger. One woman, as I recall, was downright hostile. What was I to do? How was I going to handle this situation?

Certainly there were many options that were in front of me. What would you do? How would you handle it? Would you be like all these other people and walk out upset, perhaps even angry? or Would you be one who handles it in such a manner that you create a win, not only for yourself but for others as well? Think about that until next time...

Live FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment