Friday, November 19, 2010

Two Questions

A while back I was at a late night restaurant with a friend of mine I hadn’t seen in some time. He called me up and wanted to get together and talk about life, so we agreed to meet at a get-together I was invited to. Once we sat down, he started to tell me about his current situation in life; really just to complain about the circumstances of his life. After hearing his story for about ten minutes I came to the conclusion that the story would never end unless I stopped him. So, I stopped him: “Let me stop you right there,” I said, “I’ve heard enough.” Then I asked him two questions: “What is your purpose for being in…that relationship, that job?” And, “What’s next?”

My friend wanted to keep telling me his story. He wanted my opinion about why the people in his life -- his girlfriend, his co-workers, his boss, his customers -- do what they do. All of which, even if he knew the answers, still would leave him with the same two questions.

It occurs to me that most people I run in to are caught up in the same circular thinking that my friend was caught up in attempting to answer. In our pursuit to know “the truth” we lose sight of where it is we want to get to and what needs to be done about it, right now. Let’s say something about “the truth” right here: I’m not saying that “the truth” doesn’t exist. Let’s face it, we could write a whole book on the subject. What I’m saying here is that “the truth” that most of us get in the trap of attempting to figure out is not the truth anyways. In our Access To Power workshop we spend a great deal of time separating fact and interpretation. What most people consider to be “the truth” is usually nothing more than an interpretation.

So let’s bring this home to you and your life. Whatever complaint you have right at this moment about your situations - whether they be about your boss, spouse, co-worker, up-line, down-line – what if you did find out “the truth?” What if it was far worse than you ever imagined it was? What if it was not nearly as bad as you thought it was? Do you really need to know? Then ask. Whatever the answer is, far worse or not nearly as bad are you okay with “the truth?” And honestly, does what they do really have anything to do with your decision to take action or not? Then obviously the next two questions are…

What is your purpose? What’s next?

Until next time...

Live FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment