Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Ultimate Success Formula Part 1

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away...I was a much younger man. ;-)

For reasons I will get in to at some future time, I was up very late, most nights. On one of these nights I saw an infomercial for Tony Robbins' Personal Power program. I remember watching that infomercial, and having some hope for my future. I watched it several times. There were some nights I would flip through channels hoping that it would be on. Finally, one day I not only watched the infomercial, I actually bought the program. I had no idea then, but that would be one of the most pivotal moments of my life. Very rarely do we ever make a decision and in the moment of making that decision do we realize that this could be a life altering event. Most of my earth shattering and life changing decisions seem to have happened much like taking an extra deep breath.

One of the most important things that I got from my experience with Tony Robbins (and I've gotten and continue to get much) was The Ultimate Success Formula. In fact I still use it to this day whenever I'm setting goals. Over the years I've modified it a little to fit my own needs, but at its heart and essence it is the same. I'm going to write about it in three parts, so please do come back and read the rest. I will go in to the steps fairly deeply and pull out what I think are some key distinctions that will help you. Ready? Not Ready? It doesn't matter, because here we go...

1. Know what you want! That's it. The first step is to know CLEARLY what you want to accomplish. It's so simple, but most people either have no idea what they want or are so vague about it that they wouldn't know if they achieved their goal or not. Over the last fifteen plus years of being a coach, I've asked thousands of people this question: What do you want? You know what I here almost all the time? Here are a few: "I know I don't want...", "I'm not sure, but I think...", "I think it would be nice if I could...", "I don't know, I just want something different." Nearly every person I know says this. I have my ideas about why this might be, but the point here is this: If you don't know where you're going how will you know if you've arrived? Are you with me?

The second mistake people make when it comes to setting a goal is that it is reactive rather than proactive. This is where they get into the thinking process of, "Well, I don't like what I've got so I just want something other than what I've got." It's kind of like this: I got this seafood platter, I don't like this seafood platter, I want something/anything that is not this seafood platter. Are you with me on that one? Again, nothing wrong with the line of thinking, it's just so vague and so broad. Life gives us no limits on what we can accomplish. It's amazing the opportunity this affords us, but at the same time if you don't focus in on what you want to accomplish, you could dabble in a bunch of everything and never actually accomplish anything. This isn't about limiting your life, this is about focus. You can still dabble in a bunch of stuff, but almost every person I know who has feeling of fulfillment about their lives have focus and clarity about what they are up to accomplishing.

The single greatest reason why most people never accomplish their goals is simply because they don't know what they want!

To help you along your way here are a few things to consider when setting goals:

  1. Write it down. 
  2. What do you want? NOT What do you not want? 
  3. Get specific: who, what, where, when, how much, how many? 
  4. Get emotional. Why? Get in touch with how you'd feel once you accomplish it. Get in touch with how much it would suck if you don't. 
  5. Commit fully: Be and Do Whatever It Takes!


I certainly hope that helps you get started, and I hope you come back for the next two parts as well. Until then...

Live FREE!!
Jang

No comments:

Post a Comment